Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Media Policy

In my opinion, media policy is a very relevant issue especially in the corporate world. I understand where some of these policies are coming from however I think that others are borderline impeding on freedom of speech. I understand that some companies or organizations want to keep the integrity of the company and regulate how they are seen to the public. This includes how they are perceived through their employees. In my opinion, the company through your employees is probably one of the most of the important portrayals and depictions.  No one would want any of their employees to talk bad about their company while they were currently employed.

However, despite this, there is a newer policy which I have heard of which I don’t agree on. During interviews, before someone is employed with the company, hiring managers are requesting to see candidates Facebook profiles on the spot to judge character, personality, and habits. Here is one example of this happening during an interview. In my opinion, I think this is one step to far in media policy. What someone does on their own time, especially in their personal life,  should not affect their job competency. 

No comments:

Post a Comment